Welcome to Furumaya House websiteNestled in the peaceful countryside with lush greenery and flowers in Tanba region, 75km north from Kyoto city, Furumaya House and family are happy to welcome visitors from all around the world and provide guests with heartwarming, local and eco-friendly country life experience to remember during your trip in Japan.
We provide two charming Japanese-style guest rooms in a self-renovated thatched-roof farm house, which is more than 210 years old. Looking out to the farms and the valleys, one room is fitted with tatami (woven-straw) flooring while the other with wooden flooring and library. Both rooms come with traditional futon bedding, a low table, seating cushions, and outside terrace where guests can read and relax.
One toilet is located between the two guest rooms and shared with other guests. Bathroom and another toilet are in the annex builing and also shared with other guests (but private when in use). We provide bath towel, hand towel, Japanese pajamas (yukata), shampoo & conditioner, body soap, hair drier, tooth brush, toner and moisturizing milk, body lotion, electric fan/heater, drink bar (for coffee and tea), refrigerator, free parking, bicycles, and 24-hour wifi. (Please note there is no TV nor AC in the entire building.) For guests traveling by train, free pick-up/drop off service from/to JR Ayabe station is available upon prior request at the time of check-in/-out.
We pay special attentions to the food we serve and offer hearty homemade Japanese dinner and breakfast made with fresh, locally-available products and ingredients. Our menu reflects the season and availability of local produces. During summer season BBQ dinner can be served outside garden. Upon request, we can cater vegetarian meals.
1. Japanese home cooking (@1,000 yen/person, 1 hr), Furumaya Interested in learning Japanese home cuisine? If so, you have a chance to take a quick lesson at Furumaya and prepare a few dishes for your dinner. Please book in advance if you like to sign up. For any guest staying multiple nights, shopping tour at local supermarket and shops is also available prior to the cooking class with a small additional fee. The hostess can show and explain you all different kinds of Japanese condiments and how to use them during the cooking lesson.
2. Japanese tea ceremony (@2,000 yen/person, 40 min), Ryokusuian Cafe For those interested in experiencing Japanese tea ceremony, Ryokusuian Cafe, 4 km from Furumaya, provides an opportunity by a Japanese tea master. No advance booking is necessary, but schedule depends on the master’s availability.
3. Harvesting home grown vegetables (free of charge), Furumaya This is a great opportunity for kids to learn how vegetables grow!
4. Wood chopping (free of charge)
5. Japanese kimono fitting (¥5,000/person, approx. 1 hour) If you like to try to wear beautiful Japanese kimono, this program is for you. A local instructor will bring all items for you and help you wear kimono, so you do not have to worry anything. 6. Culture program provided by a local high school Fukuchiyama Seibi High School, a private high school based in downtown Fukuchiyama city, cordially invite any Furumaya guest who might be interested in the following cultural programs. Transportation will be provided by the school from/to Furumaya House. There is no participation fee for each program other than the actual costs including transportation fee (¥800/round trip). If you are interested in any of the program, please specify it at the time of booking. (These programs are not available during school break.) 6-1. Japanese flower arrangement, every Wednesday from 16:00 to 18:00. Actual fee ¥650 (flowers) + ¥800 (transportation) *Due to some school schedule, there is no lesson on the following dates: May 23, June 27, July 4, October 17 and 24, November 28, December 5. 6-2. Aikido, judo & kendo, any day from 15:00 – 17:00. Actual fee ¥800 (transportation) 6-3. Class room and school visit, Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 15:00 – 17:00. Actual fee ¥800 (transportation)
2019 Rate (per room, tax inclusive)※We accept either cash or credit card （Visa/Master/American Express/Diners Club/Discover） ※Check-in 15:00～ Check-out 10:00 ※Cancellation Policy: The guest can cancel free of charge until 30 days before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 30 days before arrival. If the guest doesn’t show up they will be charged the total price.
From 9th of March to 25th of April/1st of October to 15th of December
|No of guest||2||3||4|
|With breakfast and dinner||¥25,000||¥37,500||¥50,000|
From 6th of May to 8th of August/18th of August to 30th of September
|No of guest||2||3||4|
|With breakfast and dinner||¥24,000||¥36,000||¥48,000|
Golden week（26th of April to 5th of May）/Obon week（9th to 17th of August）
|No of guest||2||3||4|
|With breakfast and dinner||¥26,000||¥39,000||¥52,000|
AccessLocation Furumaya House 156 Kamigawai Miwa-cho,Fukuchiyama,Kyoto 620-1311 JAPAN Phone:+81-773-58-2236 E-Mail: email@example.com
■By car15 min from Fukuchiyama IC: Once you exist Fukuchiyama IC, follow Route 9 toward Kyoto City direction for about 10 min. At Ashibuchi intersection（very close to Miwaso Hotel), turn to the left toward Ayabe to get on Route 59. Follow the road for about 5 km. Cross a small bridge across Kawai Elementary School and drive up the uphill. Furumaya House is on your right side in the middle of the hill. 15 min from Kyotamba Mizuho IC: Once you take an exit at Kyotamba Mizuho IC, follow route 173 toward Ayabe for about 10 min. After passing by Obara Shrine on your right, follow the road for another few min and then take route 59 toward left. Drive two kilometers and cross a small bridge across Kawai Elementary School, and drive up uphill on the left. Furumaya House is on the right hand side in the middle of hill.
■By train/busFrom JR Kyoto station: Take JR San’in line and get off at JR Ayabe station（express train runs every hour and takes approx. one hour; local train takes about 90-120 min). From the south side of the station, take a local bus that runs three times in the afternoon（13:46, 17:00, 17:42). Get off at “Gakko-shita” stop (it takes 23 min and 200 yen/person) and across a small bridge nearby. Walk up uphill for 1 min and you will find Furumaya on your right. ※If your train schedule does not match the bus schedule, free pick up service can be provided upon request between 14:30 until 19:45. From JR Osaka station:Take JR Fukuchiyama line（either by local or express), change train at Fukuchiyama station to get to JR Ayabe station. From the south side of the station, take a local bus that runs three times in the afternoon（13:46, 17:00, 17:42). Get off at “Gakko-shita” stop (it takes 23 min and 200 yen/person) and across a small bridge nearby. Walk up uphill for 1 min and you will find Furumaya on your right. ※If your train schedule does not match the bus schedule, free pick up service can be provided upon request between 14:30 until 19:45. From JR Sannomiya station: Take a direct bus（by Kyoto Kotsu,0773-76-8800）to JR Fukuchiyama station（1.5 hours, 1600 yen/one way). At JR Fukuchiyama station, take San-in line to Ayabe station.（7 minutes）From the south side of the station, take a local bus that runs three times in the afternoon（13:46, 17:00, 17:42). Get off at “Gakko-shita” stop (it takes 23 min and 200 yen/person) and across a small bridge nearby. Walk up uphill for 1 min and you will find Furumaya on your right. ※If your train schedule does not match the bus schedule, free pick up service can be provided upon request between 14:30 until 19:45.